Are you a creative leader with dreams of fame?
We are Monogram. The Differentiation Consultancy®.
As a collective of Anti-Sameness Activists®, we are armed with the tools, techniques and expertise to unblock and “un-same” projects and organisations so they can build momentum and activate powerful change, painlessly and profitably.
Our expertise lies within the sectors that deliver spaces, places, and experiences. We work with a range of clients from property developers to government bodies, entertainment groups to hoteliers and restaurants, and more. Our trademarked process is a proven, fully integrated, human approach to destination visioning and innovation, product development, branding, communications, and engagement.
From envisioning a single placemaking project to reframing an entire organisation, we uncover powerful insights, solve problems and shift projects and businesses into new and profitable territories, all centered around the wants and needs of their audiences. Our approach creates team enhancement, market traction, customer retention, additional revenue, and a highly differentiated place in the market.
Unconventioning the conventional means challenging existing ways of doing, being and thinking with confidence and curiosity. By unearthing genuine truths of distinction, businesses are surprisingly and effectively different and delightful.
We do it all on purpose. Deeper perspective and wisdom allow us to translate the meaning and significance of latent opportunity and potential. And by being purposeful and meaningful, we positively impact people and the planet.
PARTNERS IN CRIME
Work with the people whom people want to keep working with – inside and out. We’re serious about relationships, equal respect, being proactive, and delivering enjoyably.
KICK-ASS CRAFT MASTERS
Excellence is an attitude. It’s also curious, experimental, detailed and backed by the anti sameness activism we bring to work every day. We take pride in our mad skills and mad desire to deliver beyond expectations. We have an insatiable thirst for seeking out creativity and it’s influences, in all its forms, all around the globe.
MATCH AND LEAD
Yes, we’re visionaries who can see miles ahead for the betterment of our clients. But going there without them means we get nowhere. We must first understand where people are at and then lead them to the potential available to them. Patience is required to enable this, but the rewards are greatest for all if we stick to this.
DESIGN DIRECTOR OVERVIEW
The Design Director plays a pivotal role in the creation of the industry-leading Brand Design, Marketing Materials, and Brand Experiences that Monogram has become renowned for producing.
The role has responsibility for the day-to-day production of many types of strategic creative and graphic media which will go towards helping the overall success of the creative product that leaves the Monogram studio. As an integral role in the business, the Design Designer will seek to extend the Company’s creative delivery beyond all expectations of both clients and the creative team alike.
Ripe with opportunities, the role allows its owner to build a platform to grow creatively within the organisation and develop a broader career within the destination and brand design industry. The skillset that will be required (and developed) within the role will include strategic idea generation, creation and presentation, client and team management, along with being responsible for the creation and development of original design concepts that cross a broad base of media.
All this and more will be done with the Monogram brand at its core and your ambition to generate, create, and oversee, world-class designs for the business.
You are responsible for leadership of the Design Team under the Creative Director with regular exposure to client senior management. Your focus is primarily to work closely and collaboratively with the strategist, client service team, design team, and creative director alike on projects ranging from branding systems and their various touchpoints (brand identity, print, digital, social, signage and wayfinding, motion design) to marketing campaign development and rollout. You will also have the ability to contribute research and ideas towards Futureplace®, our place visioning offering.
You are hungry to develop your own talent and those you manage. You are inspired and have an artful and experimental approach. Your responsibility is to develop conceptual ideas that link to strategies, creating original executions. Your ability to remain grounded and unfazed by client demands/deadline changes, handling these with ease and grace even when under pressure, as well as a willingness to offer all hands on deck with the rest of the team to help the studio run efficiently overall.
- Execution: Research, brainstorming and concept development, creative thinking, highly crafted executions responding directly to creative briefs, delivered by impressive client presentations.
- Quality control: Responsible for the quality of creative output from the design studio; overseeing team output and providing feedback, guidance, and resolution to the creative product.
- Efficiency: In partnership with the account service team, ensure processes are followed, timelines are met and profitability is achieved.
- Lead the designers to realise their best by teaching, guiding, encouraging, and showing them how to use their innate talents, source skill gap knowledge, learn new tricks by supporting them through your own skills, knowledge, and past experiences.
- Nurture, listen to, and impress our Clients through your ability to solve their problems, showcase ideas beyond expectation, and help them stand apart through original creative craftsmanship in line with their brand. Upsell and grow revenue from your creative genius and foresight.
- Keep Monogram in a leading position in the industry by being involved in the creative local and global community, enter, and get invited to judge/participate in industry awards/events.
- Lead the creative team and contribute to Monogram’s marketing efforts including regular social media posts (Instagram, LinkedIn, Website Blog).
- Initiate, brainstorm, develop, and refinement of design concepts and solutions in line with strategy and briefs
- Accountable for creative excellence by delivering bold and original ideas from concept into production, sometimes going beyond the brief to push an idea even further than expected
- Able to work within Monogram’s process framework on own and with guidance from CD
- Responsible for collaborating with third-party vendors and suppliers to achieve production excellence
- Seeks out opportunities for personal growth, inside and outside of work by honing creative abilities, experimenting, learning complementary skills such as digital /interactive and tech knowledge, design thinking, customer service design, experiential brand expression
- Contribute positively to the daily running and culture of studio life
- Staying abreast of the latest industry trends and forecasts
- Motivate, mentor, inspire the team to maintain a high level of artistic excellence
- Help with design team progression planning and recruitment
- Foster a positive team environment while providing and delegating work
- On top of current outstanding global work and thinking, practice to inspire others
EVEN MORE CLIENT ‘WOW-ING’:
- Understand client commercial business realities and needs plus how to strategically, creatively answer briefs with business smarts
- Attend client meetings and present/sell in work (from both a strategic and business pov)
- Relationship building with clients alongside Account Service team by identifying and growing existing client opportunities
- Meet monthly and quarterly financial targets by ensuring work is completed on time and within budgeted hours, along with accomplishing team-related goals
- Participate in strategic and creative planning for major new business opportunities and client initiatives
EVEN MORE PROFILE BUILDING:
- Contribute regularly to social media content development
- Building personal profile in the design community (attend industry events, speak at events, etc.)
- Lead the awards charge! Take on award-winning pro-bono projects outside your normal scope to push boundaries and get noticed, get invited to judge awards.
- Conceptual thinker that ties in strategic and business needs to form the foundation for solid designs and communication solutions
- Excellent client/people skills, presentation, and listening skills
- Reads, researches topics at hand to find deeper meaning and understanding for smart creative solutions
- Understanding of copywriting: messaging and tone of voice. Able to collaborate with writers from briefing to ideation, to full execution with a meaningful and consistent flow
- Ease of ability to experiment and constantly learn new techniques by exploring online and offline without guidance
- Speed – the ability to work up a range of ideas and styles (look & feel) in a timely manner that are appropriate for the client type (tight timeframes)
- Outstanding design aesthetic and honed craftsmanship across:
- Layout and grid knowledge
- Craft of typography
- Typeface design
- Graphics for logos, patterns, and icons and unique detailed craftsmanship
- Illustration, drawing
- Photography, art-direction, and image-making
- Icons and Infographics: able to distill complex information into interesting and relevant graphic visuals
- Colour and how to use intelligently and unexpectedly
- Advanced Adobe CS skills
- Ability to translate designs into Microsoft Office: Word, PPT, and Google Suite
- Knowledge and understanding of digital communications a must (eDMs, Websites, Motion)
- Finished artwork skills and production understanding are a must across both print and digital
- Motion design welcomed but not essential
- Exposure to signage and wayfinding is a benefit but not essential
- Exposure to globally award-winning art & design
- Personal projects and interests encouraged
Who we want you to:
- BE THE LEADER: Who guides clients and internal teams away from mediocrity, towards creative and successful solutions.
- BE THE INNOVATIVE SOURCE: Who taps into networks and search resources to find solutions and pertinent information
- BE ACCOUNTABLE: By being responsible for the outcome of the division in collaboration with the rest of the team
- BE A TEAM PLAYER: By being more interested in the team around you shining and the overall outcome than your own accolades
- BE PASSIONATE: Stay on top of the latest & greatest to achieve branding, built form, destinations and placemaking, communications, and transformational creativity
- BE CURIOUS: By showing a keen interest in issues facing our clients, their competitors, end-users and communities
- BE ENTREPRENEURIAL IN SPIRIT AND ACTIONS: By being an initiator and seeking constant advancement of skills and knowledge
- BE THE INNOVATOR: Who creatively brings the positive differentiation to our offering
- BE COMPASSIONATE: By showing your empathy for a client’s situation and yet be strong in representing our studio philosophies and principles
- BE CONFIDENT: Handle challenging situations with grace and empathy while being assertive in holding ground in respect to agreements made, when appropriate
- BE AWARE AND INSIGHTFUL: Using innovation, strategic approaches, and by thinking beyond the status quo
- BE ORGANISED AND DETAILED: To achieve and deliver excellence by having a clear understanding of the expectations of the client and the studio and by being prepared to follow through
- BE PERSONABLE: When interfacing with clients and your team; Use your sense of humour to break the ice
- BE PREEMPTIVE: By anticipating the needs of our clients and the studio and be proactive in response.
TBD p.a. inclusive of superannuation